Beyond Beginners Lace Knitting and Beading with Cath Ward
This practical class will delve into different styles of lace knitting and look at some more complex lace patterns, as well as beading and fixing lace mistakes.
Do you want to take your lace knitting a step further? Delve deeper into different styles of lace and look at some more complex patterns in this practical, hands-on class.
Guided by experienced lace knitter Cath Ward, in this class we will design our own mini shawls, choosing from a variety of lace patterns and adding beads to enhance the lace. You will then be able to use the mini-shawl made in class as a test swatch to make your very own full-sized shawl at home.
In this class we'll:
- Look at triangular, square and crescent shaped shawls and see how different lace patterns can be used with the different shapes.
- Learn how to use different ways of applying beads to lace to best enhance your piece.
- Discuss what makes a good yarn for fine lace, and how to finish your lace project so it looks its best.
- Examine different lace charts and work out the skill levels required for them.
You'll have the chance to try some more challenging lace patterns, try different ways of applying beads to the motifs and design your own mini shawl.
Skills required: you will enjoy this class if you've done one or two lace projects already and are familiar with all the basic lace stitches, including yarnovers, ssk, k2tog and different double decreases. You'll also need to be comfortable reading knitting charts.
You will need to bring:
- 2 or 3 x 10g of 4ply yarn, preferably in a solid or tonal/semi-solid colour (not highly varigated) with a high wool content
- needles to match your yarn (3-4mm)
- 0.75mm or 1mm crochet hook
- stitch markers
- cotton thread and yarn needle for lifelines
A selection of beads will be available for you to use for this class and are included in the cost of the workshop.
Knitting to do before your class:
- You will need to create the foundation of your mini-shawl before coming to class and instructions will be emailed about a week before.
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $27.50 fortnightly and receive your order now.