Cable Knitting Unravelled with Fiona
Learn how to add wonderful texture to your knitting using twisted stitches in this fun and practical exploration of the fascinating technique of cabling.
Cables add wonderful texture to your knitting projects and look fabulous on jumpers, cardigans, socks, scarves and more. Learn all about this wonderful technique in our exploration of cable knitting with Fiona. Originating in Ireland, cable patterns resemble twisted or braided ropes and range in style from quite simple to complicated.
In this enjoyable and practical class we will look at tools and techniques which will improve your knitting skills and increase your confidence to work cables in your knitting projects. We'll also look at the best types of yarn to show off your cables and learn how to block your cable knitting to show off your work to its best advantage.
After the class you'll have all the tools you need to get started and work through cable projects, know all about different types of cables and how to knit them, make sense of cable patterns, fix mistakes, add cables to a plain stocking stitch pattern, and even make cables without a cable needle. Plus so much more!
Skill level: You should be able to knit and purl comfortably (this is NOT a beginner class).
You will need to bring:
- 8ply or 10ply smooth woollen yarn in a light, plain colour (i.e. not variegated, textured or mohair). The Fiddlesticks Peppin range is ideal.
- Knitting needles to match your yarn (e.g. 4mm for 8ply and 5mm for 10ply).
- A cable needle (or small double pointed needle)
You also receive 10% off any yarn, notions and book purchases in store on the day.
- Deb is wearing the Cozy Winter shawl by Melanie Mielinger in Madelinetosh Farm Twist colour Copper Pink which is knitted using cabling and lace techniques. Deb used three skeins of yarn and kept knitting until they were all used up!
- Kenzo by Olga Buraya-Kefelian - cabled cardigan in The Fibre Company Cumbria Worsted colour Buttermere
- White Celtic cables within cables
- Curling Mist Socks by Helen Stewart
Cables are often beautifully combined with lace so you might also be interested in Lace Knitting Demystified.
Your teacher: Fiona Donovan
Fiona started knitting at the age of six with the encouragement of her wonderful Nonna. Teddy bears, Sasha dolls and Cindy dolls were all swathed in layers of garter stitch for quite a few years. After some misadventures with berries and beehive cables in her early teens, Fiona's knitting passion lay dormant until 2000, when a job in Melbourne and a wonderful wool shop combined to re-ignite the flame. Since then she has left no knitting stone unturned, and along with the explosion of knitting on the internet has kindled her deep love for sticks and string. Having struggled over the years with twisted cables, gauge errors and unfair isle, Fiona is more than ready to help you find your own way in the world of knitting. There is no right or wrong in knitting - there is only what's best for you and the item you want to tackle.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.