Crochet Your Own Eco-Friendly Market Bag with Jane
Say goodbye to single-use plastic bags and hello to a stylish, reusable bag that's perfect for shopping, beach days, and more. In this fun class you'll crochet an eco-friendly, useful and stylish market bag while upgrading your skills
Get ready to embrace sustainable fashion and hone your crochet skills in our fun workshop where you'll learn to crochet your very own market bag! Say goodbye to single-use plastic bags and hello to a stylish, reusable bag that's perfect for shopping, beach days, and more. Market bags look great and are surprisingly quick, easy and inexpensive to make. What's more...they're eco-friendly, fun to crochet and are a fantastic present or teacher gift!
You'll learn to crochet Skein Sisters' roomy market bag in 100% cotton yarn and start it in class.a super stretchy bag which uses less than 100g of yarn.
This class will teach you how to make the different elements of your market bag:
- Getting started: how to make a strong foundation and firm base starting with magic ring
- Learn various techniques including using standing stitches to start rounds, increases and more
- Create the stretchy mesh body of the bag
- Handle construction: crochet a strong and sturdy strap for your bag
- Finish your bag beautifully
Additionally you'll learn how to read a simple crochet pattern.
We’ll also talk about different styles of crochet bags and how you can adapt patterns to create any size of bag you want. We'll provide plenty of guidance and support, there will be loads of time to ask questions, and you'll learn all the skills you need to take your bag home and finish it.
Skills required: suitable for advanced beginner crocheters. Please note: this is not an absolute beginner crochet class. If you can't crochet the basic stitches then our Beginner Crochet class is the perfect choice for you.
If you're left-handed it will not effect your ability to learn and enjoy this class. Crochet can be taught to left and right-handed crafters equally well.
Join us for this workshop which combines creativity, eco-consciousness, and functional design as you learn to Crochet Your Own Market Bag. You'll go home with a beautifully crafted accessory that's perfect for shopping and showing off your crochet skills. Reserve your spot today!
Important info for this class
Duration: 2 hours
What to bring:
You're entitled to 10% off any purchases of yarn, accessories and books made in store on the day. If you're planning on purchasing your yarn for the class on the day please arrive at least 20 minutes before your class start time and our friendly shop staff will help you with your selection.
Are you ready to take a step up from the basics? Try these classes and continue your crochet journey...
Book into Crochet Beyond the Basics with Jane to learn loads of fabulously useful crochet techniques used by master crocheters everywhere.
Join us for Crochet Amigurumi with Jane and immerse yourself in the Japanese art of Amigurumi. In this class you'll learn the fundamental skills and techniques needed to bring cute and cuddly amigurumi creatures to life.
Otherwise you can explore our fabulous full range of knitting and crochet classes here.
Need some more help with your project or any other crochet/knitting problem or road block? We are the phone-a-friend of the yarn world! Our in-store Help Clinics run every Wednesday afternoon 12pm-2pm. Book here and one of our experienced staff will help you resolve your issue so you can carry on confidently with your project at home.
Your teacher: Jane Downey
Inspired by her grandmother, who would crochet intricate tablecloths without even referring to a pattern, Jane learned to crochet as a teen and has been crocheting now for over 30 years. Jane is a member of the Knitters' Guild of NSW and has taught crochet both for Guild meetings and at the Guild's camp, as well as at several yarn stores in Sydney. Jane has won prizes for her crochet at both the Sydney Royal Easter Show and the St Ives Show. Jane loves crochet because of the variety of projects it lends itself to, and because it's a lot easier to fudge than knitting (mostly!).
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of up to 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $16.25 fortnightly and receive your order now.