Knit Cables without a Cable Needle with Kat
Streamline the process of making knitted cables and discover how to cable without a cable needle in this fun and hands-on class with Kat.
Cabling without a cable needle involves creating a cable twist on your needles by letting some of your stitches temporarily slide off your needle, rearranging them and then catching them again. It sounds scary but your experienced teacher Kat loves cables and has knit hundreds (if not thousands) of them, and she’s never owned a cable needle because she learned how to do it without a cable needle first.
If you've done cables before but find cable needles clumsy and want to speed up your cabling, or perhaps you get frustrated with cables because you always drop your cable needle and then lose your stitches, this is the method for you! This hands-on class will let you ditch your cable needle and streamline your cabling. If you've never cabled before and want to try it, come along and learn this great method of doing knitted cabling before you even start on your first cable project.
Skill level: Adventurous beginners and more advanced knitters will all enjoy this practical and fun class. Participants should be confident with the knit and purl stitches and know how to cast on.
Suitable for right and left handed knitters.
You will learn:
Together we’ll be making a swatch of the main stitch pattern from Kat’s Gothic Tracery Beanie pattern (see image) to practice our cabling skills. You’ll receive your own copy of the full pattern in the class so you can go home and make the beanie to practice your skills!
If you have a particular cable pattern you’d like to make, bring it along and we can talk through it as well.
What to bring:
Before coming to class start your swatch:
Using 50-100g of 12-14ply wool or wool blend yarn in a plain, light colour (from your stash if possible) on straight or circular needles suitable for your yarn (6.5mm)
CO 18 sts
Row 1: P6, K6, P6
Row 2: K6, P6, K6
Repeat these two rows twice more
Leave your work on the needles and bring it to class
You're entitled to a 10% discount on yarn, accessory and book purchases in store on the day.
Your teacher: Katrina Walser
Kat doesn’t remember who taught her the knit stitch, but she does remember that her mum noticed her knitting and taught her how to cast on, bind off and purl. After getting fixated on cross stitch in high school, she picked up her knitting needles again during uni and hasn’t put them down since. She published her first design in 2016 and now has over 20 patterns listed on Ravelry. She’s taught countless friends and colleagues to knit and has taught classes at the Etsy headquarters in New York, and is very excited whenever she gets to teach people new skills in the knitting world!
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $16.25 fortnightly and receive your order now.