Knitted Cast Ons and Bind Offs with Kat
Learn how to knit perfect cast ons and bind offs in this hands-on and practical class with Kat.
Learn how to use different cast on and bind off techniques to create perfect edges for your knitting projects.
There are so many amazing cast ons and bind offs in knitting - and the cast on and bind off method for your projects can be crucial for how your project looks, feels and fits. Your edges can make all the difference between a project that just isn’t working and one that’s exactly what you imagined.
If you learned how to cast on and bind off when you did your first knitting project and you’ve only ever used those two methods ever since, or you’ve made your first jumper or pair of socks, and the cuffs are too small to fit over your wrists or ankles, or the neckline was too small to fit over your head, then this class is for you!
You will learn:
In this practical class we’ll be learning a selection of different cast ons and bind offs to knit perfect edges - neat ones, stretchy ones, decorative ones and more. Learn their pros and cons and the situations you’d want to use them in. Kat will guide you through each edging technique as you practice it in class.
Skills required: Adventurous beginners and more advanced knitters will all enjoy this hands-on class.
What to bring:
- One 50g ball of 8 or 10 ply yarn
- 5mm needles (circular or straight)
- One other set of needles, any size between 5.5mm - 6.5 mm
- A 5mm crochet hook (optional - only bring this if you have it, don’t go out and buy one)
You're also entitled to a 10% discount on yarn, accessory and book purchases in store on the day.
Main image blue and yellow Shiftalong hat by Andrea Mowry
Your teacher: Katrina Walser
Kat doesn’t remember who taught her the knit stitch, but she does remember that her mum noticed her knitting and taught her how to cast on, bind off and purl. After getting fixated on cross stitch in high school, she picked up her knitting needles again during uni and hasn’t put them down since. She published her first design in 2016 and now has over 20 patterns listed on Ravelry. She’s taught countless friends and colleagues to knit and has taught classes at the Etsy headquarters in New York, and is very excited whenever she gets to teach people new skills in the knitting world!
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.