Knitting in the Round with Kat
Working in the round speeds up your knitting and opens up access to a huge variety of patterns for seamless projects. This practical and fun class will give you all the skills you need to knit in the round while making your own beanie.
Have you learned to knit, created a flat project (such as a scarf or dishcloth) and are looking to do something more? Or perhaps you're more experienced and have only ever knitted garments in flat pieces which need to be sewn together. Learning how to knit in the round is a key skill in moving beyond rectangular and flat shapes. Using the traditional method of knitting in the round with a circular needle you work in a continuous spiral around the outside of your project.
Your knitting will speed up as you'll always be working on the outside of your project. This means that you'll never have to purl to create stocking stitch...and colourwork, cables, brioche and lace all become so much easier. Also you'll be able to use a vast range of seamless garment patterns, meaning you'll never have to sew up your work again!
Once you know how to knit in the round you can knit countless projects with minimal or no seams. Take a look at the images to see a small selection of the possibilities including socks, beanies, a cowl, toys, a stranded top-down colourwork sweater, a brioche top, and the beautiful fade sweater worn by class teacher Kat.
You will learn:
In this fun and practical class we'll all knit in the round together using Kat's Slouchy Mushroom Beanie pattern (pictured - purple) while learning these skills:
- How to join your work
- Knitting in the round using small circulars
- The 'magic loop' method
- Reading patterns
You’ll receive your own copy of the full pattern in class so you can go home and finish your beanie to practice your new skills and by the end of the session you’ll be able to move forward with confidence into the world of seamless knitting!
Skill level: This class is perfect for beginners who have already learned to knit and purl and who want to progress to knitting garments. Experienced knitters who have only ever previously made garments in pieces and would like to try knitting in the round from the top down will enjoy this class as well. Participants should be confident with the knit and purl stitches and know how to cast on.
Suitable for left and right handed knitters.
What to bring:
- 100g ball of 12/14 ply yarn such as Eden or Peppin 14
- 6.5mm circular needles, 40cm long
- 8mm circular needles, at least 80cm long for 'magic loop'
- stitch marker
Before coming to class knit the following flat:
Using your 6.5mm circular needles, CO 77 sts. To knit with these, just ignore the cable joining the tips and pretend you're using regular straight needles by working back and forth.
Row 1: Knit 1, purl 1. Repeat these two stitches until the last stitch, then knit the last stitch.
Row 2: Purl 1, knit 1. Repeat these two stitches until the last stitch, then purl the last stitch.
Repeat these two rows another four times, for a total of 10 rows.
Leave your work on the needles and bring it with you to the class.
You're also entitled to a 10% discount on yarn, accessory and book purchases in store on the day.
(Follow the links to pattern information)
- Sloucy Mushroom Beanie by Oliphant Kat (you'll receive your own copy in class).
- Green/grey/black sweater: Vintersol by Jennifer Steingass
- Orange top: Earth and Air by James N Watts
- Yellow beanie: Skein Sisters Classic Beanie
Your teacher: Katrina Walser
Kat doesn’t remember who taught her the knit stitch, but she does remember that her mum noticed her knitting and taught her how to cast on, bind off and purl. After getting fixated on cross stitch in high school, she picked up her knitting needles again during uni and hasn’t put them down since. She published her first design in 2016 and now has over 20 patterns listed on Ravelry. She’s taught countless friends and colleagues to knit and has taught classes at the Etsy headquarters in New York, and is very excited whenever she gets to teach people new skills in the knitting world!
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.