Mosaic Colourwork Knitting with Kat
Have you looked at mosaic knitting patterns and wondered how it's done? Come along to our mosaic knitting class with Kat and learn this gorgeous yet simple method of knitting colourwork!
Learn how to knit mosaic colourwork while using only one colour of yarn per row. This fun class is perfect for advanced beginner knitters who would like to create their first colourwork project, or for more experienced knitters who would like to learn a new skill. If you can knit stripes, then you're already on the way to knitting beautiful mosaic colourwork!
Mosaic knitting can be done flat or in the round, and it's a versatile colourwork method that can be used in just about any kind of pattern. By using stripes of colour and slipped stitches, you can create intricate colourwork that’s much easier to do than it looks!
Invented by Barbara G Walker in the late 1960s, mosaic knitting is a relatively modern technique that’s seen a resurgence in popularity over the last few years, with designers such as Stephen West, Truly Myrtle, Andrea Mowry and many more publishing patterns using mosaic colourwork.
In this practical class you will knit a mosaic swatch, and your teacher Kat will lead you through mosaic knitting techniques.
You will learn:
- How to use slipped stitches to create a 2 colour mosaic pattern
- How to add different textures to mosaic patterns
- How to read mosaic pattern charts
- How to wet block an item
- How to do more advanced, 3 colour slipped stitch patterns
- How to use slipped stitches to create different textured stitches like linen stitch
Skill level: Adventurous beginners and more advanced knitters will all enjoy this class. Before coming to the class you should be confident with the basic knit and purl stitches, know how to cast on and bind off, and be familiar with how to read a simple knitting pattern.
This class is suitable for left and right handed knitters.
Materials required (provided by student):
- Two shades of smooth 8ply/DK or 10ply/worsted cotton, wool, or wool blend yarn (around 50g of each). Choose two colours of yarn with high contrast (from your stash if possible!).
- Circular needles to suit your yarn, 40cm or longer
You will leave with: the confidence to be able to knit mosaic colourwork. Take a look at some examples of patterns using mosaic knitting below:
- Floozy by Truly Myrtle
- Mosaic Musings by Stephen West
- Cirrus by Natasja Hornby
- The Shift by Andrea Mowry
- Building Blocks Baby Blanket by Oliphant Kat (blue and white image)
You're also entitled to a 10% discount on yarn, accessory and book purchases in store on the day.
Your teacher: Katrina Walser
Kat doesn’t remember who taught her the knit stitch, but she does remember that her mum noticed her knitting and taught her how to cast on, bind off and purl. After getting fixated on cross stitch in high school, she picked up her knitting needles again during uni and hasn’t put them down since. She published her first design in 2016 and now has over 20 patterns listed on Ravelry. She’s taught countless friends and colleagues to knit and has taught classes at the Etsy headquarters in New York, and is very excited whenever she gets to teach people new skills in the knitting world!
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.