Invented by Barbara G Walker in the late 1960s, mosaic knitting is a relatively modern technique that’s seen a resurgence in popularity over the last few years. By using stripes of colours and slipped stitches, you can come up with intricate colourwork that’s much easier to do than it looks!
In this class we’ll use Kat's Building Blocks baby blanket pattern to learn the following skills:
- What slipped stitches are and how you can use them
- What twisted stitches are and how to only use them when you mean to
- How to read charts
- How to wet block an item
- How to put this all together to knit a mosaic knitting pattern
This class is suitable for advanced beginners.
Prerequisites: Participants should be confident with the knit stitch and purl stitch and know how to cast on and bind off. You should also be familiar with how to read a pattern.
Materials required (provided by student):
- 4 100g balls of 10 ply cotton such as Finch or Cahlista, 2 balls each of 2 colours
- 5mm circular needles, 80cm (32”) or longer
- 10 stitch markers (feel free to make your own)
Prework: Before coming to class, you’ll need to do the following:
Choose which will be your CC and which will be your MC. In the blanket pictures, the CC is blue and the MC is grey.
- Using CC, CO 147 sts.
- Rows 1-5: P all sts. Cut CC at end of Row 5.
- Row 6 (WS): Join MC. P all sts
You're also entitled to a 10% discount on purchases in store on the day.
Your teacher: Katrina Walser
Kat doesn’t remember who taught her the knit stitch, but she does remember that her mum noticed her knitting and taught her how to cast on, bind off and purl. After getting fixated on cross stitch in high school, she picked up her knitting needles again during uni and hasn’t put them down since. She published her first design in 2016 and now has over 20 patterns listed on Ravelry. She’s taught countless friends and colleagues to knit and has taught classes at the Etsy headquarters in New York, and is very excited whenever she gets to teach people new skills in the knitting world!
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.