Knitting Beyond the Basics with Tash
Discover knitting techniques which will help your projects shine and make your experience of knitting more enjoyable. In this class you'll improve your skills and increase your confidence to tackle a huge variety of wonderful patterns
This fun and practical class will unlock incredibly useful knitting techniques which are a step up from the basics, opening up a multitude of potential projects to you. You'll build on your knowledge of the knit and purl knitting stitches, learn more advanced techniques used by experienced knitters, and increase your confidence to tackle a huge variety of gorgeous knitting patterns.
Perhaps you've been dreaming about making a gorgeous knitted shawl like Stephen West's iconic Exploration Station, or Jacqui Verbeek's Colour Drift, or maybe you admire all the amazing knitted garment patterns available online... but you don't know where to start.
During the class we'll look at a selection of casting on and off techniques and when to use them, various types of ribbing, increasing and decreasing, seaming, and how to finish off your projects fabulously.
You'll also learn how to read and make sense of knitting patterns, as well as learning all about gauge swatches: why they're important, and how to adjust if your gauge is different from the gauge recommended in your pattern. Throughout the class you'll have the opportunity to ask questions and practice on your own sample.
Plus...Tash will share loads of tips and tricks that will help your projects shine and make your experience of knitting more enjoyable and rewarding. She'll also discuss projects for you to try out your newly learned skills at home so you can create beautiful, unique knitting that you can be proud of.
Skills required: You should be able to make the basic knit and purl stitches. The class is perfect for you if you're fairly new to knitting and know how to knit and purl, you're looking for a refresher, or you've already done our Learn to Knit class. If you're an absolute beginner knitter this class is not for you — please book into our Learn to Knit class.
Whether you want to create beautiful garments, cozy blankets, or lovely shawls and other accessories, this workshop will give you the tools you need to take your knitting to the next level. Don't miss out!
Important info for this class
Duration: 3 hours
- You will need to bring some light coloured (so you can see your stitches clearly), smooth 8ply or 10ply wool or wool blend yarn (Peppin 8 or Peppin 10 is perfect).
- Knitting needles to match the yarn (4mm for 8ply, 5mm for 10ply). Needles can be circular (at least 60cm) or straight
- Tapestry needle
You're also entitled to a 10% discount on yarn, accessory and book purchases in store on the day.
Once you've completed this class you'll have the skills and confidence to make a huge variety of knitted projects. Book now, the possibilities are endless!
Learn how to knit in the round in our Knit My First Beanie Workshop with Tash. Or if you want to branch out to a top-down, seamless sweater but don't know how to start then Knit My First Sweater with Linda is the class for you - you'll learn sweater techniques by knitting a mini sweater in class, which you can then scale up to a follow any simple top-down, in the round, full-sized sweater pattern at home. Learn the secrets of finishing your garments to perfection in Finishing Techniques for Fabulous Knits with Tash. Otherwise you can explore our full range of knitting and crochet classes here.
Need some more help with any knitting/crochet problem or road block? We are the phone-a-friend of the yarn world! Our Help Clinics run every Wednesday afternoon 12pm-2pm. Book here and one of our experienced staff will help you resolve your issue so you can carry on confidently with your project at home.
Your teacher: Tash Childers
Tash has been knitting ever since her grandmother taught her at 8 years of age. She was always a fearless knitter, tackling an all-over intarsia vest for her mum as her first garment when she was 12. While taking time off from Mathematics teaching to raise her children, she taught many of her friends to knit and co-ordinated a mothers’ group for knitters. She is passionate about sharing the joy of knitting with others and helping knitters to improve their skills, so they have the confidence to tackle any project.
(follow the links to view pattern information on Ravelry).
- Janine holds her Colour Drift Shawl by Jacqui Verbeek
- Calla sweater by Natasja Hornby
- Jacqui Verbeek's Colour Drift in her original green/pink colour selection of our stunning Skein Sisters Fabulous Sock, see our yarn sets here
- Man's hoodie knitted in Brooklyn Tweed Shelter
- Tash is wearing Wool and Honey by Andrea Mowry
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 6. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.