Crochet Amigurumi with Jane
Learn the skills and techniques needed to bring your very own cute and cuddly crocheted amigurumi creatures to life! In this hands-on class you'll start your own 3D amigurumi creature while learning new skills useful for many crochet projects
Join us for this fun workshop and immerse yourself in the Japanese art of crochet Amigurumi. In this class you'll learn the fundamental skills and techniques needed to bring cute and cuddly amigurumi creatures to life! Learn all the skills needed to make these lovable objects and then practice by starting to crochet your very own cute amigurumi in class, which you can then finish at home.
After the class you'll take home all the interesting and essential skills you need to make a huge range of amigurumi characters together with your partially finished amigurumi creature. Even better, all of the skills that you'll learn in this class are also useful for many other different types of crochet projects, not just amigurumi.
You will learn:
- How to choose the best yarn for your projects
- Crochet techniques: working in rounds and spirals, all about increases and decreases
- Shaping: how to crochet different types of 3D pieces
- Assembly: techniques for putting together the different parts of your amigurumi, including stuffing, attaching limbs and other small joints, and adding the finishing touches.
- Patttern reading: understand how to read crochet patterns and follow along with the instructions to create the different shapes and parts for your amigurumi
- Design and customisation: find out how to make your amigurumi creations special and unique to you by learning how to modify existing patterns, experiment with different yarns, and add gorgeous personal touches
- Plus Jane will share many helpful amigurumi tips and tricks, so your creations turn out beautifully!
Throughout the workshop you'll have the opportunity to ask plenty of questions and to practice on your own work, allowing you to perfect your skills under the guidance of your teacher before you take them home and use them on your own hand-crocheted projects.
Skill level: This class is perfect for advanced beginner crocheters and beyond - you should be able to make basic crochet stitches (single crochet and double crochet). The class is ideal for crocheters who have completed our Beginner Crochet class, but please note it's NOT suitable for absolute beginners. If you can't crochet the basic stitches then our Beginner Crochet class is the perfect choice for you.
Once you've completed this class you'll have the skills and know-how to make a huge variety of cute and cuddly crocheted Amigurumi and other 3D crochet shapes - the opportunities are endless! We can't wait to see what you'll create!
Important info for this class
Duration: 3 hours (in person)
What to bring:
- A variety of colours of 8ply/DK yarn, small amounts are ok.
- 3.25 or 3.5mm crochet hook
- Wool needle
If you need to purchase materials in the shop before your class please come 15 minutes early and our friendly shop staff will help you with your selection. You'll receive 10% discount on any yarn, notions and book purchases you make in store on the day.
Your teacher: Jane Downey
Inspired by her grandmother, who would crochet intricate tablecloths without even referring to a pattern, Jane learned to crochet as a teen and has been crocheting now for over 30 years. Jane is a member of the Knitters' Guild of NSW and has taught crochet both for Guild meetings and at the Guild's camp, as well as at several yarn stores in Sydney. Jane has won prizes for her crochet at both the Sydney Royal Easter Show and the St Ives Show. Jane loves crochet because of the variety of projects it lends itself to, and because it's a lot easier to fudge than knitting (mostly!).
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of up to 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.