Tunisian Crochet with Jane
Add to your crochet skills in this hands-on class all about Tunisian crochet. You'll be able to create some stunning projects, from lovely shawls to warm thick blankets to beautiful garments using this fascinating technique.
Related to crochet and with some similarities to knitting, Tunisian Crochet (sometimes known as afghan or tricot crochet) is used to create a huge variety of lovely projects, from light and lacy shawls to warm thick blankets to gorgeous garments. It makes a beautiful, squishy fabric and while working you're always crocheting on the right side! It's fun to do and nowhere near as tricky as it looks!
In this class you'll build your crochet skills while starting on a simple Tunisian crochet project guided by our experienced crochet teacher. Choose one of the projects shown in the first 3 images - a small shawl, a dishcloth or fingerless mitts.
You will learn:
- Tunisian simple stitch and stitch variations
- How to increase and decrease
- All about starting and finishing your work
- Many more useful tips and tricks.
Class size is small so you can benefit from the full attention of your teacher, and there will be plenty of time for questions and class discussion.
Skill level: Advanced beginners and beyond. You must be able to crochet the basic crochet stitches, or have completed our Beginner Crochet class. This class is not suitable for absolute beginner crocheters. This class is suitable for left handed crocheters.
Book now and learn to make the gorgeous textured fabric of Tunisian crochet by working on your own simple project in class which you can then take home to finish. Tunisian crochet is a wonderful technique to add to your crochet skills - you can find a fabulous range of Tunisian crochet patterns on Ravelry here, and we'd love to see what you make. Share it on Socials #skeinsisters
Important info for this class
Duration: 2 hours
What to bring:
- Smooth, light coloured (not variegated) 8ply/DK weight yarn, at least one colour, more if you wish
- 6.5mm crochet hook with a straight shaft (ie. Not with a comfort grip).
- More information about materials for each project will be emailed to you a few days before your class.
If you want to make the dishcloth, you will need cotton yarn. If you want to make the mitts, a wool or wool blend yarn is best. For the shawl, a lighter weight yarn is suggested (eg. 4ply / fingering) but you can use DK / 8ply for a warmer item.
Please arrive 20 minutes before the class if you need to purchase materials. You're entitled to 10% off yarn, notions and book purchases made in store on the day.
Need help with any knitting/crochet problem or road block? We are the phone-a-friend of the yarn world! Our Help Clinics run every Wednesday afternoon 12pm-2pm. Book here and one of our experienced staff will help you resolve your issue so you can carry on confidently with your project at home.
- Cardigan shown is Tessellated Cardigan by Abbeymade. This gorgeous pattern is crocheted in Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light
- Nefta Shawl by Abbeymade. This stunning shawl inspired by Nefta in Tunisia is worked in Fabulous Sock, colours Popsicle, Lollipop and Spellbound. Take a look at our dyed to order yarn sets for this shawl.
Your teacher: Jane Downey
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of up to 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $16.25 fortnightly and receive your order now.