Crochet Beyond the Basics with Jane
Explore crochet techniques and stitches beyond the basics, learn to read patterns and troubleshoot your work, and increase your confidence and skills. Start working on your choice of a blanket square, hat, mitts or market bag in class.
Welcome to our Crochet Beyond the Basics class, the next step in your learn to crochet journey! In this class you'll learn how to take your crochet skills to the next level and explore new techniques that will allow you to create more complex and intricate crochet projects.
Perhaps you've been dreaming about doing a gorgeous crocheted blanket like Sophie's Universe or the Nuts about Squares blanket that Deb made, or maybe you admire all the amazing crochet garment patterns available but don't know where to start. Come along to our class and you'll learn the skills and techniques to tackle a huge variety of beautiful crochet projects.
We'll start by reviewing basic crochet stitches like chain, single crochet and double crochet. Then we'll move on to more advanced techniques like crocheting in the round, how to work different types of stitches, how to count stitches and rows, and how to work with multiple colours in your project. We'll also look at troubleshooting your stitches and how to avoid pitfalls and fix mistakes.
You'll also learn how to read crochet patterns and charts. We'll cover some of the common crochet abbreviations and symbols, and practice reading them in different contexts.
During the workshop, you'll have the opportunity to start working on your choice of a hat, mitts, market bag or blanket square (from the stunning Nuts About Squares Blanket by Ester Dijkstra), depending on your interests and skill level. We'll provide plenty of guidance and support and offer tips and tricks for you to take home and finish your project.
If you're left-handed it will not effect your ability to learn and enjoy this class. Crochet can be taught to left and right-handed crafters equally well.
Skills required: you should be able to make the basic crochet stitches - chain and double in US terms (equivalent to chain and treble in UK terms). This class is aimed at beginners who have mastered the basic stitches and are ready for the next steps. The class is perfect for you if you're fairly new to crochet, you're looking for a refresher, or you've already done our Beginner Crochet class. Please note: this is not a beginner crochet class. If you can't crochet the basic stitches then our Beginner Crochet class is the perfect choice for you.
By the end of the workshop, you'll have the skills and confidence to tackle more advanced crochet projects on your own, and the knowledge to experiment with different stitches and patterns. We can't wait to see what you'll create!
Important info for this class
Duration: 3 hours
- For the blanket square (choose 1 out of 3 from the Nuts About Squares blanket): a few colours of DK/8ply and a 4mm hook, or worsted/10ply and a 4.5-5mm hook
- For the Callistemon hat or Paperbark mitts: smooth light coloured (not variegated) DK/8ply weight yarn (eg Fyberspates Vivacious DK, Brooklyn Tweed Arbor, Bellissimo 8, Bellissimo Lucca, Peppin 8) and a 4mm hook
- For the string bag: 8ply/DK or 10ply/worsted cotton or cotton blend yarn (eg. Cahlista, Finch, Wren, Bombay) and a 4mm or 4.5mm hook.
Further information about the class projects and materials needed will be emailed to you a few days before your class.
You're entitled to 10% off any yarn, accessory and book purchases you make in store on the day.
We look forward to seeing you in class and helping you to advance your crochet skills!
(follow the links for pattern information):
- Main image blue blanket: Sophie's Universe Blanket CAL by Dedri Uys. View our kits for this wonderful blanket here.
- Blanket squares from the Nuts About Squares Blanket by Ester Dijkstra (make 1 square in class - option 1)
- Callistemon hat (make in class - option 2)
- Paperbark mitts (make in class - option 3)
- Market bag (make in class - option 4)
- Catona olive lace top: Aster by Marie Wallin.
- Jane is holding Catalina Wrap by Alexandra Tavel.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of up to 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.