Frequently Asked Questions
Are you coming to visit our shop? Please have a look at our new protocols
NEW opening hours: Tuesday - Saturday 11am - 3pm
ONLINE Store pickups: Monday - Saturday 10am - 5pm
Store is CLOSED ON SUNDAYS and Public Holidays. Pick ups only on Monday.
Due to the strict social distancing requirements, the following protocols will be in place...
- If you're not well please stay at home
- Entry to the shop is via the double doors on New Canterbury Road only
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided when you enter the store
- A limit of 6 customers at a time will apply. We encourage you to not visit the store in large groups
- Please use the baskets provided and try and limit the amount of handling of the yarn
- For our health and safety as well as yours, please maintain social distancing
- Transactions will be by card only. NO CASH
- Please try and source your patterns on Ravelry prior to visiting the store. If you need help using the Ravelry website you can find a guide here
- Help service: While we will endeavour to help you with your knitting / crochet problems, we may not be able to do so due to social distancing requirements. You can book an online help session with Tina here
- Yarn winding: We cannot provide a 'while you wait' yarn winding service at the moment however you're welcome to leave your yarn to be wound for collection at a later date. Unfortunately we are unable to wind yarn that has not been purchased from us.
We are undertaking a thorough clean of the shop and will be regularly wiping down surfaces, door handles, baskets etc throughout the day
All your customer details and order history have come across to our new website EXCEPT the password you set up for your account. Passwords were not able to be migrated over to the new website. You'll need to set up a new password for your account. In order to do so simply go to the Account login (top right hand corner of the website) and put the email address associated with your account into the Returning Customer field. Then click Forgot Password. You'll receive an email with a link to reset your password.
I have a gift voucher purchased before the new website was launched. How do I use it on the new website?
Your gift voucher is still valid and can still be used in store and online. If you're using your voucher online simply put in your existing voucher code into both the 'Voucher Code' and 'Secret Code' fields at checkout. This will apply the value of your gift voucher to your order. Any outstanding amount can then be paid for using an alternate method of payment. If the full value of your gift voucher hasn't been used, the balance will stay on your account.
I have a shopping cart with a value less than $50. Why can't I use Afterpay?
Because of the Merchant costs associated with using Afterpay online, we have set a minimum spend value of $50. This allows us to offer this method of payment without undue expense.
We are happy to offer private lessons with one of our experienced teachers.
Private lessons can have a maximum of 2 people and are held at Skein Sisters at one of the following times:
Friday 10.30am-11.30am or 1pm-2pm
Private lessons are not available outside of regular store opening hours.
Single class participant: $60 for the first hour or part thereof, $30 per half hour for every 30 mins thereafter.
Two class participants: $90 for the first hour or part thereof, $45 per half hour for every 30 mins thereafter.
You can book here.
Terms and conditions
Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
- Please come to class with an open and enquiring mind, free from your inner critic.
- Honour diversity, compassion and equality.
- Arrive five minutes before the class is due to start, and at least 15 minutes if you need to buy materials.
- Turn your phone on to silent or flight mode. If you do need to take a phone call, please leave the classroom so other students are not disturbed
Where are the workshops held?
We have a beautiful private room within the shop that has room for up to 12 people.
Does Skein Sisters have disability access?
The double doors on New Canterbury Road allow for flat access to the shop for those who are mobility-impaired or those with prams. The main shop is accessible to all.
Is there parking near Skein Sisters?
There is plenty of all day and two-hour parking all around Skein Sisters. Parking along New Canterbury Road, directly outside the shop, allows for access to the shop for those using wheelchairs or disability scooters.
How do I get to Skein Sisters by public transport?
We are a 10-minute walk from Hurlstone Park train station, as well as Dulwich Grove Light Rail station. See our Contact Us page for more information.
What materials do I need to bring to a workshop?
If there is anything that you need to bring on the day or prepare in advance, we will email you with all the details. You can also purchase all you need on the day, just arrive at least 15 mins before the class starts to complete your purchase. You can entitled to a 10% discount off purchases in store only on the day of your class.