Contemporary Stranded Colourwork with Mary Jane Mucklestone
Join Mary Jane Mucklestone at Skein Sisters as we explore modern fair isle patterns plus learn loads of tips on stranded knitting techniques.
This class is now sold out. If you'd like to be placed on our waiting list, please send us an email here.
Knit bold contemporary looks using the principles of traditional Fair Isle knitting. If you love knitting all the wonderfully modern fair isle designs that are constantly being released, this is the class for you.
Mary Jane will share her love of stranded knitting by embracing traditional techniques that simplify the work while modernising the look with graphic geometric shapes and a contemporary take on colour. We will create a sampler using Mary Jane's Flying Geese Cowl as a template, experimenting with colour and shapes.
Mary Jane will help guide your colour choices and offer tips on stranded knitting techniques. You will also receive an extra page of pattern motifs.
When: Thursday 6 June 2024, 1.30pm-4.30pm
We will also be having a fun social night with Mary Jane on Friday 7 June. Save the date! More info to come next year.
Class Level: Intermediate
Technique requirements: Some experience working stranded colourwork in the round; chart reading
Supplies to bring:
- 5 colours of worsted-weight yarn between 28m and 66m each. Include both light and dark colours.
- 5mm and 5.5mm needles
- tapestry needle;
- We will be putting together yarn kits in early 2024 and will email you when they're available.
Homework: On larger needle, with any colour you like (or Charcoal if following Flying Geese pattern), cast on 120 sts, and work k1,p1 rib for 1 inch.
About Mary Jane: Mary Jane Mucklestone is a knitwear designer, teacher, and author of six knitting books specialising in stranded colourwork. Her volumes, 200 Fair Isle Motifs and 150 Scandinavian Motifs, sit on thousands of knitter's bookshelves worldwide. Endlessly inspired by traditional knitting, she likes to apply vintage ideas to modern knitwear.
Her latest book, Grand Shetland Adventure Knits (order your copy now), co-authored with her friend, designer Gudrun Johnston, takes the knitter on a trip to Shetland. Shot on location in stunning scenery, it includes patterns for the knits to wear or knit while visiting Shetland or wherever your adventures take you!
Mary Jane loves to teach and is thrilled to have the opportunity to visit Australia. She specialises in lively informative classes where history, craft, fashion, and location meet. With lots of personal attention, she aims to give students the courage to try something new.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - This class requires a minimum of eight people in order to go ahead. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $42.50 fortnightly and receive your order now.