Learn to Knit Socks from the Toe Up with Tash
Always wanted to knit socks? This is the perfect class to get you started on your sock knitting adventure!
If you're keen to learn to knit socks, this comprehensive and practical class is perfect for you. There's nothing as cozy for your feet as wearing a pair of handmade socks, and a pair of hand knitted socks makes a beautiful gift for family and friends. A pair of socks is the ideal small project to have in your handbag, ready to pick up whenever you have a few moments free for knitting, plus they're easy to knit in small spaces such as on buses and trains, or in waiting rooms. Once you've mastered the making of a pair of basic socks, you can branch out to socks with cables, lace, brioche, colourwork and all sorts of other interesting techniques.
In this class you will learn to knit and shape socks starting at the toe and working up to the cuff, while knitting your own child's sized sock as a sample in the class. If you don’t need socks for a child, you can unravel your sample later and resize the pattern for adult feet.
Tash is an experienced sock knitter and will cover all the basic techniques needed for toe-up sock knitting using your sample. She'll then help you get started on knitting your very own pair of handmade socks.
- Forming and shaping the toe using Judy's magic cast on and stitch increases
- Knitting the foot
- Shaping the gusset/instep
- Heel construction
- How to finish your sock with a perfect cuff and stretchy bind off
Skill level: For adventurous beginners, intermediate and advanced knitters who want to learn how to knit socks. You need to be able to knit and purl, and you should also be able to use the 'magic loop' method for small circumference knitting before taking this class.
Please bring these materials to your class:
- 100 grams of 8ply / DK weight sock yarn in a light colour
- 3.5mm, 80cm or longer circular needle
If you need to purchase materials in the shop before your class please come 20 minutes early and our friendly shop staff will help you with your selection.
You'll receive 10% discount on any yarn, notions and book purchases you make in store on the day.
(follow the link to view pattern information on Ravelry).
- Pink Shell Cottage Socks and blue Winter Rose Socks by Helen Stewart.
- Tash is wearing Wool and Honey by Andrea Mowry.
Your teacher: Tash Childers
Tash has been knitting ever since her grandmother taught her at 8 years of age. She was always a fearless knitter, tackling an all-over intarsia vest for her mum as her first garment when she was 12. While taking time off from Maths teaching to raise her children, she taught many of her friends to knit and co-ordinated a mothers’ group for knitters. She is passionate about sharing the joy of knitting with others and helping knitters to improve their skills, so they have the confidence to tackle any project.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation. If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
- Cancelling a class – you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date to receive a full refund. Less than 7 days prior, we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot. Once a course has started, we are unable to provide a refund for change of mind or cancellations.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.