Knit Socks from the Toe Up with Tash
Always wanted to knit socks? In this fun class you'll learn to knit and shape socks starting at the toe and working up to the cuff, while knitting your own child's sized sock as a sample.
Have you always wanted to knit socks but thought they might be a bit tricky? Then this class is perfect for you! Guided by your teacher Tash, you will knit in class a sample mini sock from toe to heel to cuff, incorporating all the structural elements of socks. You can then take these techniques home and use them to make your very own full size, snuggly, toe-up socks. Please note, you must be able to confidently use the magic loop technique to do this class.
There's nothing as cozy for your feet as wearing a pair of hand knitted socks, and handmade socks make a beautiful gift for family and friends. We always have a pair of socks on the go, as socks are the ideal small knitting project to have in your handbag, ready to pick up whenever you have a few moments free for knitting, plus they're easy to knit in small spaces such as on buses and trains and in waiting rooms.
Why is knitting toe-up socks such a great skill to have? The best reason is you can try it on as you go along! But we love knitting socks from the toe up for the following reasons:
- Perfect fit: knitting toe-up allows you to try on and customise the fit of your socks as you knit, adjusting the length and width to suit your foot perfectly.
- Seamless and comfortable toe: you cast on the toe using a special technique that lets you start knitting in the round straight away, so you don't have to seam the toe (no Kitchener stitch at the toe of your sock!!!)
- No guesswork: you can knit until the foot and leg reach your desired length so they fit well.
- No running out of yarn: you knit the leg section last so you can make sure the length is right for you without running out of yarn.
- No having heaps of yarn left at the end of your project and wishing you made your leg section longer.
- Versatile: you can experiment with a huge variety of stitch patterns, colours and textures to create a unique and personalised pair of socks.
Tash is an experienced sock knitter and will cover all the basic techniques needed for toe-up sock knitting using your sample. She'll then help you get started on knitting your very own pair of handmade socks.
You will learn to knit and shape socks step-by-step, starting at the toe and working round the heel and up to the cuff, while knitting your own child's sized sock as a sample. First you'll learn how to cast on and knit seamless and comfortable toes without seams, then you'll move on to knitting the foot. Next comes gusset/inset shaping and heel construction, finishing with how to knit the leg section and cast off perfect stretchy cuffs. There will be plenty of time to ask questions and Tash will share loads of sock knitting tips and tricks and so much more!
After the class you'll have all the skills you need to start knitting your very own pair of toe-up socks. If you don’t need your sample sock for a child, you can always unravel it later and resize the pattern for adult feet.
Skill level: For adventurous beginners, intermediate and advanced knitters who want to learn how to knit socks. You must be able to knit and purl confidently and also know how to use the "magic loop technique" for knitting in the round before taking this class. Knowing how to increase and decrease is also an advantage as you will be using these techniques in the class.
Expand your knitting skills and learn how to knit socks from the toe up! Book now and you'll be knitting your very own snuggly handmade socks for winter! We can't wait to see your finished projects!
Important info for this class
Duration: 3 hours
Please bring to your class:
- 100 grams of 8ply / DK weight sock yarn in a light colour (so you can see the stitches clearly)
- 3.5mm, 80cm or longer circular needle
If you need to purchase materials in the shop before your class please come 20 minutes early and our friendly shop staff will help you with your selection.
You'll receive 10% discount on any yarn, notions and book purchases you make in store on the day.
Learn all the skills needed to become an expert sock knitter in this fun and practical class with Tash. You'll love knitting socks and once you know all the steps you'll always have a sock project ready to grab and go!
Your teacher: Tash Childers
Tash has been knitting ever since her grandmother taught her at 8 years of age. She was always a fearless knitter, tackling an all-over intarsia vest for her mum as her first garment when she was 12. While taking time off from Maths teaching to raise her children, she taught many of her friends to knit and co-ordinated a mothers’ group for knitters. She is passionate about sharing the joy of knitting with others and helping knitters to improve their skills, so they have the confidence to tackle any project.
(follow the link to view pattern information on Ravelry).
- Pink Shell Cottage Socks and blue Winter Rose Socks by Helen Stewart.
- Tash is wearing Wool and Honey by Andrea Mowry.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of two people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of 4. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed.
- We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use it as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.