Continental Knitting with Linda
Knit faster and with less strain on your body using the Continental method. It's the speedy, ergonomic and fun way to knit! Join us and you'll soon be wearing even more gorgeous hand-knitted projects. You'll be amazed!
Have you ever wanted to knit faster, or do you suffer from pain in your hands, arms or shoulders when you're knitting? The answer is to learn to knit ergonomically the Continental way!
With the yarn held in your left hand, learn how to 'pick' your stitches as you zip through your rows. Ribbing, moss stitch, brioche, lace and two-handed colourwork become so quick and easy - you might even enjoy doing the rib on a sweater next time!
After the class you'll have the skills and confidence you need to use the continental style of knitting for all your projects. You'll know how to hold your yarn, how to do the knit and purl stitches, how to combine your stitches into textures such as ribbing, how to yarn over, increase and decrease...and so much more including tensioning your yarn and troubleshooting! There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions and practice your continental knitting in class with Linda's guidance.
Linda will also give demonstrations to show how brioche becomes a breeze and how easy colourwork is when you use two hands.
Skill level: Suitable for advanced beginners - knitters who are comfortable with casting on, knit and purl stitches and knitting in the round will enjoy this class.
You will need to practice at home after the class...we recommend trying your new skill on a simple garter swatch at first. Once you've mastered the knit side of things you'll be ready to practice purling on a stocking stitch swatch or simple project.
Book now and learn this wonderful, speedy and ergonomic knitting technique...you'll love it! We can't wait to see what you make! Share it on Socials #skeinsisters
Important info for this class
Duration: 2 hours
Materials and prework:
Please bring to your class:
- 10ply light-coloured, smooth, woollen yarn (Fiddlesticks Peppin 10 is ideal).
- Circular knitting needles to suit your yarn at least 60cm long. Please note you cannot knit continental style on straight needles.
- Before coming to class: cast on 40 stitches and knit about 5cm in garter stitch. Leave your knitting on your needles and bring it to class.
If you need to purchase materials in the shop before your class please come 20 minutes early and our friendly shop staff will help you with your selection.
You'll receive 10% discount on any yarn, notions and book purchases you make in store on the day.
Brioche becomes a breeze when you're knitting continental style so you will absolutely love our class Brioche Made Simple with Fiona! Or book into our Lace Knitting Masterclass - Shetland Lace with Cath Ward... continental style lace knitting is absolutely lovely!
Need help with any knitting/crochet problem or road block? We are the phone-a-friend of the yarn world! Our Help Clinics run every Wednesday afternoon 12pm-2pm. Book here and one of our experienced staff will help you resolve your issue so you can carry on confidently with your project at home.
Your teacher: Linda Scocca
Linda was taught how to knit by her mum when she was eight years old and encouraged by both her Nonna’s to keep her hands busy. Knitting, crochet, embroidery and sewing where all a part of her life from a young age. After a break from crafting Linda came back to it, and knitting in particular, with a vengeance! Shawls, jumpers, cardigans, socks, colourwork, lace, cables, accessories - she wants and does knit all the things! Linda enjoys helping many knitters and crocheters decipher tricky patterns and learn new techniques at our regular Help Clinic. She has oodles of patience for beginners and is excited to welcome newcomers to our much loved craft.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of up to 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $16.25 fortnightly and receive your order now.