Knit My First Shawl with Linda
Wrap yourself in warmth and style and learn to knit a snuggly shawl in this hands-on class. Shawls are the perfect learning palette for more complex patterns, and are also ideal for using and combining fun pops of colour
So, you've learned to knit but you want to try a bigger project...how about a shawl to wrap yourself in warmth and style? Shawls are the perfect learning palette for future more complex patterns. They are also the ideal project for using fun colours that you might not normally wear, or a great way to add speckles, pops of colour and texture into your wardrobe!
In class you will learn how to knit a triangular, striped shawl, following a simple pattern. The shawl is knit in garter stitch using 14ply yarn, but if you prefer you can also use 10ply. We recommend these thicker yarns for your first shawl as they make it easier to see your stitches, but the concepts covered apply equally well to knitting shawls using DK, fingering and even lace weight yarns. You'll start your shawl project in the class and learn all the skills and techniques you'll need to finish it later at home.
Linda is ready to take you through the steps required to make your first triangle shawl, and use it as a jumping off point to pick up some extra skills. We will begin by casting on together and setting up the shaping of the shawl. Along the way you will learn how to read a simple knitting pattern, as well as lots of techniques and concepts essential to shawl knitting. There will be plenty of time in the class for questions and discussion within the class group.
You will learn:
- The Garter Tab Cast on (a very common way of starting many shawl shapes including the Triangle)
- All about increasing using the M1L & M1R
- How to make yarn overs and why we use them
- How to start a new ball of yarn and how to change colours
- Casting/Binding Off using the Icelandic Bind Off
- How to apply your new skills to other shawl shapes
- How gauge and tension affect your work
- How yarn/fibre choice affects your work
- How and when to use stitch markers
Skill level: This class is perfect for beginners who have already learned to knit and want to upgrade their skills to the next level. Experienced knitters who have never tried knitting a shawl will enjoy it too. You must know how to knit (but not necessarily purl).
By the end of this workshop, you'll not only have learnt new knitting techniques but will also have started a gorgeous shawl to call your own, showcasing your newfound skills. Whether you're knitting for yourself or as a thoughtful gift for someone special, your finished shawl will be a beautiful reminder of your creativity. Book your spot now!
We'd love to see your work. Tag us on Socials using #skeinsisters
Important info for your class
Duration: 3 hours
You will need to bring:
- Four balls of Fiddlesticks Grange 14 yarn in 3 different colours. You will use the most yarn for the bottom stripe of the shawl. Linda's sample uses 1 ball of 14005 Pearl, 1 ball of 14013 Ocean and 2 balls of 14009 Navy.
- 6.5mm circular needles in 80cm or 100cm length
Alternatively: 400m of another 12/14ply yarn or approximately 500m of 10ply yarn with 5mm 80-100cm circular needles
You're entitled to a 10% discount on yarn, accessory and book purchases in store on the day of your class. Simply mention when purchasing that you're attending a class. If you're planning on purchasing your class materials on the day of your class, please arrive at least 20 minutes before the start time and our friendly shop team will help you with your selection.
Are you ready to continue your knitting journey? Try these classes...
Learn to knit in the round and make a beanie at the same time! Reserve your spot now for Knit My First Beanie Workshop with Tash!
You'll love Knit My First Sweater with Linda. She'll take you through all the skills needed to knit your very own top-down mini sweater in the round. If you're fascinated by stranded colourwork, Fair Isle and Colourwork Knitting with Linda will teach you how to knit this wonderful decorative technique.
Learn to finish your knitting projects like a professional and they'll look and feel fabulous. Book into Finishing Techniques for Fabulous Knits with Tash.
Otherwise you can explore our fabulous full range of knitting and crochet classes here.
Need some more help with your project or any other crochet/knitting problem or road block? We are the phone-a-friend of the yarn world! Our in-store Help Clinics run every Wednesday afternoon 12pm-2pm. Book here and one of our experienced staff will help you resolve your issue so you can carry on confidently with your project at home.
Your teacher: Linda Scocca
Linda was taught how to knit by her mum when she was eight years old and encouraged by both her Nonna’s to keep her hands busy. Knitting, crochet, embroidery and sewing where all a part of her life from a young age. After a break from crafting Linda came back to it, and knitting in particular, with a vengeance! Shawls, jumpers, cardigans, socks, colourwork, lace, cables, accessories - she wants and does knit all the things! Linda enjoys helping many knitters and crocheters decipher tricky patterns and learn new techniques at our regular Tuesday morning clinic. She has oodles of patience for beginners and is excited to welcome newcomers to our much loved craft.
Terms and conditions
- Full payment is required prior to the start of the class to confirm your spot.
- Minimum numbers - All classes require a minimum of three people in order to go ahead and, depending on the class, a maximum of up to 10. If your class or workshop does not have the minimum number of students, the class will be postponed and you will be notified within three days of the class date if it has been cancelled or changed. We cannot be held liable for travel or any other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- If your class is postponed or cancelled you can use the amount paid to transfer to another event/activity, use as a store credit, or be issued a full refund.
Cancelling a class
- Up to 7 days before the class - you are able to cancel, postpone or swap a class up to 7 days prior to the class date and can receive a full refund.
- 7 days-24 hours before the class - we are able to offer a credit but we cannot guarantee a full refund unless another booking fills your spot.
- Less than 24 hours before the class - no credit or refund available.
Please see our general Classes & Workshops page for our FAQ.
Make 4 interest-free payments of $23.75 fortnightly and receive your order now.